Nominations are open for our Election for all Cleveland DSA offices!
At our December 7th, 2017 meeting, we will have Elections to fill all Steering Committee positions, including officers and at-large members.
Any member in good standing is eligible to vote in the election. Any member in good standing is eligible to run for office or nominate someone else. If you’re not a member, or you haven’t paid your dues in more than a year, JOIN NOW! For more information about the offices, read up on Cleveland DSA’s structure and for more detail check our bylaws.
This Election will elect every officer and at-large member of the steering committee for a term ending December 31, 2018.
If you’re interested in serving on our Steering Committee as an officer or an at-large member you can nominate yourself or another member here. If you are nominating yourself please send a brief five sentence summary of yourself, why you are running, and what you hope to bring to the DSA, to our firstname.lastname@example.org email address. We will be including these descriptions in our newsletter.
Expectations and Responsibilities of Elected Positions
Officers and At-Large members of the Steering Committee are expected to attend all general meetings and steering committee meetings. All elected positions are expected to abide by the bylaws and any standing rules of Cleveland DSA and ensure that all business and administration of Cleveland DSA complies with the local and national constitution and bylaws. Officers and At-Large members are also expected to work on committees and projects at as needed. Steering Committee members are expected to keep up with internal communications via email, text messages, or other communications platforms as decided by the Steering Committee. All Officers and At-Large members are expected to report to the Steering Committee and the general membership on all activities undertaken in the execution of their offices.
Rules Governing the December 2017, Cleveland DSA Elections
1. Cleveland DSA shall hold an election at the December, 2017 General Meeting to fill all positions for Steering Committee, including officers and at-large Members.
2. All DSA members in good standing are eligible to vote, nominate, contest, and hold office.
3. An elected official must maintain good standing with DSA through December 31, 2018.
4. Elections will be decided by highest total votes. If a majority is not secured, a plurality will win the election.
5. No candidate may run for more than one office. A member may be a candidate for office and an at-large seat. If a candidate runs for office and an at-large seat and wins both, the candidate will fill the office and vacate the at-large seat to the winner of the next highest total votes among at-large candidates.
6. Nominations are open one month prior to the election and may be made at the General Meeting, by email to one of the election supervisors, or by emailing email@example.com.
7. Nominations will close two weeks before the December General Meeting.
8. Per the Cleveland DSA bylaws, elections are supervised by an Election Committee consisting of the Treasurer, Secretary, and an appointed at-large Member of the Steering Committee. The Election Committee will be approved by the Membership.
9. The election committee will verify eligibility of members to vote, distribute ballots, tally results, and prepare a report for the meeting chair.
10. The meeting chair will present the election results to the membership at the December General Meeting.